Best Practice 1
Educate the School Children
Objectives of the Practice:
- To develop a scientific temper by fostering critical thinking skills, and promoting a culture of innovation and the spirit of inquiry.
- To improve the academic standards of school students.
- To share and provide resources.
- To advance subject expertise and create learning opportunities for teachers
- To familiarize and educate the school students on laboratory experience
- To provide hands-on experience with experimental procedures.
The Context: Enhancing the teaching-learning process in school students, especially in science
subjects where the resources are limited, and sharpening the skill set of teachers has become a critical
- Chemwonders is a programme initiated by the Department of Chemistry to introduce lab apparatus and view the experimental procedures for the learners in schools.
- Students were provided with opportunities for hands-on training in laboratory experiments.
- Exhibitions were conducted for high school students.
- Quiz competitions, painting competitions, and debate competitions were held for school students.
- Workshop was organized for high school teachers to improve teaching-learning process.
- Science laboratories were set up in high schools.
- In near future we planned to set up a science park at St. Michael’s College.
Evidence of success: The increasing number of students undertaking science subjects for higher
studies resounds the success of the programme. With generated curiosity and scientific temper, more
students are actively participating in school science exhibitions like Shastramela.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required: The lack of adequate funding to purchase chemicals
and regular maintenance laboratories poses significant concerns for the smooth functioning of the
initiative. Insufficient space to accommodate the equipment and ensure compliance with safety
regulations add to the challenges.
Best Practice 2
BEEP (B. Voc Education Extension Programme)
Objectives of the Practice:
- To establish a connection with the community, gain insight into their challenges, develop an intervention strategy, and effectively address the issues.
- To equip the students with the necessary skill set to adapt to the constantly evolving technology.
- To cultivate an understanding of the significance of health and well-being.
- To foster a sense of responsibility toward protecting the environment.
- To inculcate social responsibility and promote values of compassion to become civic citizens.
The Context: Pandemic has created an array of problems in the teaching-learning process, including
physical and mental issues. It was important to enliven the student community to rekindle their spirits to
face the society.
- To access the computer software competency level of the high school students of Cherthala South High School, Ariparambu a preliminary test was administered. Based on the results, tailored classes were conducted to address the specific needs and deepen the knowledge and practical wisdom. An exit level test was conducted at the end of the classes to gauge the level of improvement achieved.
- A bookshelf with books was donated to the library of Cherthala South High School, Ariparambu.
- A study conducted at Little Flower School, Mathilakam showed that a good number of primary class students suffer from eyesight and orthopedic issues due to excessive use of mobile phones. A health awareness class by an orthopedic surgeon was organized to address their issues.
- Posters of ideal body postures were made and posted on the classroom walls.
- The students identified the underdeveloped tourist destination spots in Alappuzha and conducted cleaning drives.
- Alappuzha Beach Park underwent cleaning and painting, resulting in its opening to the public for recreational activities.
- Bins to collect plastic waste were installed on Mararikulam Beach.
Evidence of Success: The students developed a curiosity for learning new things and cultivated reading
habits. As a result, there has been a noticeable improvement in the studies, especially in Informatics.
More public has started visiting the tourist spots and utilizing the available facilities.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required: The most significant challenges encountered
throughout the process were the lack of maintenance of public properties, financial constraints, and the
impact of the pandemic.